Britain leaving the EU will have a lasting impact for Europe. But what about Hong Kong, a territory with close ties to the country? Kate Whitehead speaks to expats to get their view.Continue Reading ...
Mike Warde, whose company plans to open 30 branches of American restaurant chain in East Asia, denies waitresses need big breasts to work there, but a job applicant tells a different storyContinue Reading ...
Experts suggest Brexit, and a likely devaluation of sterling, could inadvertently make the city’s luxury units more attractive to overseas buyersContinue Reading ...
Kate Whitehead wanted to know more about her ancestry – and was pleased by the results – but also learned about her healthContinue Reading ...
Initially, the reality TV star turned celebrity DJ (or her PR team) wanted the most minimal interview possible ahead of her gig in Macau. But in person Hilton was more forthcoming than expectedContinue Reading ...
He’s chairman of the oldest registered company in Hong Kong – that’s merely part of his day job – and Sir Michael Kadoorie still takes time to enjoy life to the full. As The Hong Kong and Shanghai Hotels celebrates its 150th birthday, Kadoorie talks to The Peak about his early years in post-war Shanghai,…Continue Reading ...
- ‘No one asks to become addicted’ November 26, 2023
- How extreme heat can affect your mental health and the best ways to cope August 15, 2023
- He survived an abusive childhood. Now his NGO trains teachers and parents to treat children with compassion July 17, 2023
- ‘I felt so helpless’: Hong Kong elderly-care-home staff still processing trauma of Covid-19 pandemic July 15, 2023
- TakeOut Comedy club founder on 9/11, why he ‘hated being Chinese’ – and how his dead grandma inspired him June 18, 2023
- Giving birth in Hong Kong in the pandemic June 14, 2023
- Hong Kong football legend Derek ‘Jesus’ Currie on playing Pelé five times and being a sports star in the ’70s June 11, 2023
- ‘I heard a scream and realised it was me’ April 30, 2023
- Face masks’ lasting impact on children April 15, 2023
- Nightmare’ first date left her in a wheelchair April 9, 2023
Mike Warde, whose company plans to open 30 branches of American restaurant chain in East Asia, denies waitresses need big breasts to work there, but a job applicant tells a different story
Achieving a perfect balance of career and family is still out of reach in today’s society so women must focus on what they really want, feminists tell Kate Whitehead
Born in Shanghai in 1948, the artist spent the Cultural Revolution drawing propaganda posters and admiring Buddhist art in temples and the Dunhuang caves, then married into a family entitled to live in the United States, where he could earn a living painting, he tells Kate Whitehead
It’s a village not a town. So say residents of Bathurst, a magnet for the creative and curious located in the Eastern Cape of South Africa, approximately 12 kilometers from Port Alfred. Residents are proud of the eccentricity of their town. Or village. “You’ve got to have certain things to be a town, like a…
A fall on a beach left Animals Asia charity founder Jill Robinson with a fractured vertebra and a diagnosis of severe osteoporosis Known as the silent disease, it is caused by a drop in bone density. Lifestyle changes can build it back up, as can exercise, a doctor and a therapist explain In October 2018,…
Derek Currie, one of the first Europeans to play professional football in Hong Kong, came to the city in 1970 and quickly became a local celebrity I was born in Glasgow, Scotland, on February 8, 1949. I suppose I was fated to come to the Far East because 1949 was the year Mao Zedong declared…