In November last year, Chinese scientist He Jiankui announced the birth of the world’s first gene-edited babies, unleashing a storm of criticism When Chinese scientist He Jiankui walked onto the stage at the Second International Summit on Human Genome Editing in November last year to defend his creation of the world’s first gene-edited babies, he…Continue Reading ...
Developmental trauma is a term used to describe childhood trauma such as emotional abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse and exposure to violence Kim Barthel is the kind of person I’d want to be sitting next to in a bunker when the bombs are raining down outside. She exudes warmth and kindness, the kind of energy…Continue Reading ...
Hong Kong activist Joshua Wong’s ‘manifesto for global democracy’ to be launched in 2020 by British publisher Student leader’s first book in English to feature reflections on his political activism, letters from prison, and a call to the world to stand up for democracy Hong Kong pro-democracy activist Joshua Wong’s first book in English will…Continue Reading ...
Biomarkers are indexes in the body that scientists agree quantify ageing and tell us how far away disease is Sitting in the waiting room at the Hong Kong Immigration Department’s Smart ID Card Replacement Centre in Wan Chai, I’m struck by the fact that everyone in the room is born within the same couple of…Continue Reading ...
- ‘No one asks to become addicted’ November 26, 2023
- How extreme heat can affect your mental health and the best ways to cope August 15, 2023
- He survived an abusive childhood. Now his NGO trains teachers and parents to treat children with compassion July 17, 2023
- ‘I felt so helpless’: Hong Kong elderly-care-home staff still processing trauma of Covid-19 pandemic July 15, 2023
- TakeOut Comedy club founder on 9/11, why he ‘hated being Chinese’ – and how his dead grandma inspired him June 18, 2023
- Giving birth in Hong Kong in the pandemic June 14, 2023
- Hong Kong football legend Derek ‘Jesus’ Currie on playing Pelé five times and being a sports star in the ’70s June 11, 2023
- ‘I heard a scream and realised it was me’ April 30, 2023
- Face masks’ lasting impact on children April 15, 2023
- Nightmare’ first date left her in a wheelchair April 9, 2023
Hong Kong-born Richard Bush, a former US Congressional adviser and intelligence officer, sees potential for city but says political mess needs fixing for it to be unleashed, and expects another Occupy-style flare-up
The One Heavyweight World Champion talks about everyday violence, growing up brown in the black-and-white US South, and trying his hand at acting
When you come from a land where we politely refer to smog as fog and have to have our stomachs pumped if we fall in the harbour, the Galapagos Islands are quite simply a paradise
India-born human rights advocate was sold into slavery as a child. Now she works to end the trade in people in the hope no child will have to endure what she went through
Murder Mystery Lunch train departs London’s Victoria station for a trip around rural Kent
Charlotte Merritt, bookseller-at-large for store where Nancy Mitford wrote two novels, sees a bright future for it in Hong Kong, with its ‘very well-educated and culturally engaged audience