Demonstrators reject a gesture by the territory’s leaders as too little too late and are planning a rally for China’s National Day Protesters in Hong Kong clashed with riot police again last night, signalling a failure by the chief executive, Carrie Lam, to defuse the crisis — as evidence emerged of the strain the trouble…Continue Reading ...
‘I grew up in Britain, but I’m entirely Asian’ he says, explaining his affinity with Hong Kong and Singapore Novelist and non-fiction writer Pico Iyer has always had a soft spot for Hong Kong. His first visit, in 1983, was as a 26-year-old reporter for Time magazine and he’s been a regular ever since. He has twice…Continue Reading ...
Democracy campaigners threw petrol bombs after defying a ban on a march to mark the anniversary of Beijing’s clampdown The protests in Hong Kong turned violent last night as demonstrators threw fire bombs, police used water cannons and tear gas and a tactical squad known as “the Raptors” beat passengers on a train. There was…Continue Reading ...
- ‘No one asks to become addicted’ November 26, 2023
- How extreme heat can affect your mental health and the best ways to cope August 15, 2023
- He survived an abusive childhood. Now his NGO trains teachers and parents to treat children with compassion July 17, 2023
- ‘I felt so helpless’: Hong Kong elderly-care-home staff still processing trauma of Covid-19 pandemic July 15, 2023
- TakeOut Comedy club founder on 9/11, why he ‘hated being Chinese’ – and how his dead grandma inspired him June 18, 2023
- Giving birth in Hong Kong in the pandemic June 14, 2023
- Hong Kong football legend Derek ‘Jesus’ Currie on playing Pelé five times and being a sports star in the ’70s June 11, 2023
- ‘I heard a scream and realised it was me’ April 30, 2023
- Face masks’ lasting impact on children April 15, 2023
- Nightmare’ first date left her in a wheelchair April 9, 2023
Jami Gong, founder of the first full-time comedy club in Asia, TakeOut Comedy, talks about growing up in New York and the thrill of watching an audience laugh My mum was born and raised in Hong Kong and lived through World War II (1939-1945) there, and my dad is from Toisan (in Guangdong province). They…
The Peninsula has been a familiar name in Hong Kong, a byword for luxury, and now, for the first time, that name can be found in Europe
Hongkongers will be familiar with The Upper House, the hotel in Pacific Place that opened in 2009 and propelled Andre Fu into the big league. He has worked on a string of luxury hospitality projects in the years since and among key completions this year is the Kerry Hotel, the first new hotel on the…
Incidents of rage on flights between the city and the mainland are on the rise, as witness tells of passenger who punches stewardess
The co-founder of the Californian band tells Kate Whitehead about riding the fame wave.
The British writer, headline author at the Hong Kong Literary Festival in November 2015, talks to Kate Whitehead about family, writing, and why she waited 30 years to move in with her second husband, and still sees the first