The panic buying seen in the past few weeks as people rush to stock up on essentials during the coronavirus outbreak caught Hong Kong by surprise. First it was face masks – understandable given the nature of the virus – but then it was rice and toilet paper. We’ve seen people queuing overnight for goods, there was…Continue Reading ...
The Eyes of Darkness, a 1981 thriller by bestselling suspense author Dean Koontz, tells of a Chinese military lab that creates a virus as part of its biological weapons programme. The lab is located in Wuhan, which lends the virus its name, Wuhan-400. A chilling literary coincidence or a case of writer as unwitting prophet?In The…Continue Reading ...
It’s twilight on the Morning Trail and there is a steady stream of hikers heading up the winding path from Conduit Road to The Peak in Hong Kong. Some are regulars and others are new converts who have decided to ditch the gym to exercise outdoors. No one is wearing a mask – despite the…Continue Reading ...
- Short film looks at loneliness in isolation May 31, 2021
- Kumi kidnapped as a kid, found freedom on Lamma April 30, 2021
- New app for help with anxiety, stress or burnout April 28, 2021
- What Really Happened to Flight MH370? April 16, 2021
- Hong Kong Ballet’s artistic director Septime Webre April 10, 2021
- A high intensity workout without the effort April 3, 2021
- Fighting back from osteoporosis diagnosis March 28, 2021
- In Hong Kong, going into quarantine is more likely than catching Covid-19 March 26, 2021
- Nike trainer Utah Lee March 21, 2021
- Elaine Goodwin on hitting the glass ceiling, dogs and living in the moment March 14, 2021
North Korea’s top end has enough stunning scenery to make you almost forget you are in the world’s most repressive state. Almost. North Korea has been open to tourists since 1987, but it is only in the past few years that the hermit kingdom has seen visitors arrive in any significant number. Those who come…
India-born human rights advocate was sold into slavery as a child. Now she works to end the trade in people in the hope no child will have to endure what she went through
It is without doubt the most romantic place in which to stay in Quito, Ecuador – and that’s not just because there are huge tubs of roses at every turn (easily arranged when 25 stems cost just US$2) or because you’re likely to feel a little breathless on arrival (to be expected at 2,800 metres…
Asia has hit brands hard, especially those in the luxury sector. With expectations that the economic woes will continue for another one or two years, the situation looks challenging. A new report offers not just a glimmer of hope, but some concrete suggestions for how to weather the storm.
Local favourites joined by overseas comedians for ninth annual show
Landlord has not renewed the Italian Restaurant’s lease, amid plans for the live music venue to be turned into a food court The impassioned pleas of musicians and music lovers, backed up by a well-supported online campaign, have failed to save Hong Kong’s famed Grappa’s Cellar live music venue. The popular Italian restaurant and live…